buzztard project status 01/10/2010

After all the initial work for journaling of edit events in the editor, I wanted to get a first proof of concept that everything fits together. And that I just got. The pattern editor implements a change-logger interfaces. It grabs the changelog singleton instance and logs all changes together with the undo action. The redo-action gets serialized and written to the changelog. The ui can undo/redo activities by using the change-logger interface. Upon startup the ui checks for leftover change logs, auto-cleans a few of them and offers a dialog for deleting/replaying them. I can now load a song, make changes in the pattern editor, ctrl-c/kill the app and replay the log when starting it again. There are a couple of details that need to be cleanup and some things need a bit more thinking: Next I will implement this in larger scale also.

As a continuation from last month I changed the whole editor UI to use G_DEFINE_TYPE and co. Boring work, but good to have it done now.

I had some strange crashes in the test suite – all pointing to gconf and only happening with the commandline client. After adding lots of extra logging there I still could see nothing wrong. Then I remember the hack I added to get a eventloop into the app – I run it as a new thread. By doing that I was doing gconf bits from different threads too and it does not seem to like it. I have now done the mainloop stuff more properly and get no more crashers. While looking into this problem, I cleaned the settings classes and the gconf backend a bit. It now does more stuff only as needed, improving the startup time of buzztard app a little further.

In GStreamer next core release will have extra metadata on element factories. This mechanism allows me to kill the one-property help interface. I rewrote all the code to use that conditionally and will remove it in a year or so.

As a last bigger task I migrated from deprecated HAL to GUdev. I have still conditional support for both, but will kill the HAL code once everything works nicely. I was using hal to discover input devices (joysticks, wiimotes,..) and midi-devices that can be used to control effects. Most of the conversion was
straight forward. I spent a bit more time on getting nice names of the found devices for the UI and to classify midi-devices. For the midi-device classification I copied the matching rules from HAL – after all they seemed to do the trick there. For the ui names HAL was actually grepping through various files (e.g. /proc/asound/cards) for soundcard names. That I did not really wanted to copy. I got some great help from the udev people and learned that udev devices have properties like ID_VENDOR. One just needs to walk the device tree to get to the root device and grab the names there.

119 files changed, 3377 insertions(+), 1953 deletions(-)

Leave a Reply

 

 

 

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>